skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

Our History

The McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research in the University of Cambridge was established in 1990 through a generous benefaction from the late Dr D.M. McDonald. The benefaction enabled the University to construct and maintain purpose-built premises for the Institute which include research rooms and laboratories, together with archive space and a seminar room.

 

dm-mcdonaldDr Daniel McLean McDonald, born in Fort William, Scotland, in 1905, had degrees in Engineering (Glasgow) and Medicine (Birmingham). He was founder and Chairman of the BSR Group, manufacturers of record turntables and record changers. He died in his adoptive home, the Isle of Man, in February 1991.


ac-renfrew

The founding director of the Institute was Professor Colin Renfrew - Lord Renfrew of Kaimsthorn, formerly Disney Professor of Archaeology in the Department of Archaeology.

 

 

 

Background to the McDonald Institute Triskeles

Dr McDonald's choice of emblem for the Institute was influenced by the symbol of the Isle of Man, his adopted home. The winged feet of the Triskeles are those of Hermes, and were taken from a fifth-century Syracusan coin.

Upcoming events

Other Events

Apr 23, 2019

Needham Research Institute, Sylvester Road

Mongolia & Inner Asia Studies Unit

Apr 23, 2019

Seminar Room, The Mond Building, Free School Lane

Heritage Research Group

Apr 25, 2019

The McDonald Seminar Room, Courtyard Building, Downing Street

Garrod Research Seminars

Apr 25, 2019

McDonald Institute Seminar Room, Courtyard Building, Downing Street

Asian Archaeology Seminar Series

Apr 29, 2019

South Lecture Room, Department of Archaeology, North Building, Downing Street

Cambridge Archaeological Field Group

May 01, 2019

McDonald Institute Seminar Room

Mongolia & Inner Asia Studies Unit

May 07, 2019

Seminar Room, The Mond Building, Free School Lane

Upcoming events

An Oral History of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research